I had never heard of Cartagena when I booked my flight on a whim, but I am certainly glad I went. Here are five reasons to visit this seaside city on Colombia’s Caribbean coast, founded in the 16th century:
- Delicious seafood, specifically the mouth-watering ceviche with coconut milk broth.
- Beautiful street art. The once-seedy Getsemani neighborhood murals could be inside an art gallery.
- Bright, colorful doors and door knobs so unique you won’t be able to stop taking pictures.
- Shopping. Handmade jewelry, vibrant handbags, straw fedoras and more await at every turn.
- Did I mention the food? OMG, the food.